Friday, October 5, 2007

Going with the flow

So yesterday I had my cruiser all packed up, ready to make my official move to Dominical when the power went out in the house, no big deal right? Well, the property is enclosed by a giant red gate that only opens and closes by electricity, brilliant! So instead of flying over a mountain road mach 10 with my hair on fire to my new place, I was stuck in this house with no way of getting out, no internet and a million things needing to get done. I had only one day to head down there and get moved in because I will be traveling all next week, pushing things another week back, so that puts me about 3 weeks behind planned schedule now. So what do you do? Fortunately and unfortunately this is what living is Costa Rica is all about. It can drive you crazy if you let it, and some days it does. I have gone to the open an account at the bank 4 times now, everytime I go they tell me I need something else. As frustrating as all of these inconveniences can get, I am thankful for them. They help me remember it's really just small stuff at the end of the day. I actually really enjoyed my afternoon and evening, I wrote in my journal, played my guitar, and took a nap in the hammock on the back patio. I don't know when I will get another afternoon like that again. Ole!

8 comments:

Katie said...

I would die that would get me so mad!! It is good that you are easy going I would pull my hair out.

Eric, Emilee, MaryElizabeth, Clara, and Andrew. said...

Lucky you, a nap in a hammock!!! I hope that the power came back and the gate opened...what a day! Or better yet, what an adventure!

Chad said...

That attitude is a far cry from "Grumpy Roo" (yes, "Grumpy" of the famed 7 dwarves). The 11th commandment never sounded so good.

Bill said...

Hey, Roo! We just found your blog on Katie's and had to take a look. Gald to see you again and to see you so happy and doing so well. What a beautiful country. Our son in law John Said it was spectacular (his mission) and we should all go there. I just might someday when our ship comes it, IF YOU are the guy in charge. We will check in on you often, keep posting and all the Best! Bill and Gayle Hadfield

Wild Bill said...

Sounds like the frustrations of living in Africa. Patience doesn't even come close to describing what it takes to stay sane in those situations. Must be the MO of the developing world.

Bree said...

I just have to leave a comment about Dominical because it is truly one of the most beautiful places in the world! (by the way, I'm Susie Strong's sister-in-law and we probably met a couple times about 10 years ago-I'm not stalking you, but read your blog off Molly's blog) I went to surf camp in Dominical (w/Green Iguana) about 2 years ago with a good friend and we had the time of our lives! It's so amazing-I'm jealous you get to live there. Have a lot of fried plantains and fresh guac for me at Tortilla Flats! Good Luck. Bree Strong

Chelsea said...

Done you love DOWN TIME!!! Even when it is forced on you!

The Ringleader said...

Andrew...how the heck are you?!? Long time no see. Costa Rica looks like it's treating you well, other than the bank fiasco and lack of electricity. You have always had such a great attitude. We sure miss seeing you. Next time you are in town, give us a call. Until then, we will live vicariously through your blog. One day I hope to make it down to your neck of the woods. Take care! April