Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year

It has been an awesome holiday season to say the least. However, it has not been the same without my parents here. They love the holidays and have a tendency to go "all out" with decorations, food, gifts and parties. They were complaining on the phone that it only took 30 minutes to set up Christmas in their little apartment in Spain....as opposed to the two week set-up and two week take down process they are used to at home. Anyway, we are all very proud of them and the example of service they are setting for the rest of us.

The latest on my Costa Rica adventure???? mmmmm...... I hesitate to say, for fear of losing the thousands of readers who visit my blog daily.... I am moving back to the states!
There are many reasons for pulling the plug but basically what had felt right, at one time for me, changed once I got down there and got into it. I will however, continue to run my all-inclusive package tours, this allows me to live pretty much wherever I want. I am not exactly sure if I will be moving back to Salt Lake City, I am currently looking into some options to do the rest of the year, when I am not running trips. I loved every minute of my experience living down there and trying to start a rafting company. I have no regrets and take peace in the fact that I will never look back and say, "I wonder what would've happened if I had tried....." So here is my sum up of my 6 months in Costa Rica this year-

flat tires- 3
stuck in the mud- 2
mangos consumed- muchos
lung infections- 4
food poisoning- 1
trips to mechanic- 5
ocean sunsets watched- 15 (roughly)
waves attempted to surf- 500
waves actually surfed- 2.5
round trip flights to and from US- 5
attempts at a bank account-13

On a more personal note, I am grateful for the experience for many reasons, but if anything I think I am taking perspective from it. I have had friends comment from time to time on how jealous they were of me living down there. There is no doubt the place is beautiful and the activities and adventures were unforgettable, however, I couldn't help but feel often times that despite the fact that I was living in paradise, there was a certain emptiness to it. It's hard to explain, it wasn't loneliness, but more of an idle feeling.....does that make sense? Other than the unbelievable moments spent surfing, looking at the beautiful views, rafting the river, or watching the sunset, there really wasn't much else going on. So "living the dream" was not really "the dream" as you would imagine it.

10 comments:

chipsgirls said...

Good to hear your update. We for one are glad to have you back, even if it is just for a brief moment. Now you need to visit us.

Gordon's Blog said...

Andrew.....good summary on what it is like to try and live in Costa Rica. Hope to meet up with you some day.

Gayle said...

Andrew, We have been following your blogg when we have the time. I am so glad you took this opportunity and really gave it a good shot. Let us know where you settle for your next adventure! We really think you are great. And we are glad you are coming back to the states. Bill and I just came back from visiting our Katie and John and their family in South Africa...they are so anxious to come home with thier 6 kids. John says he "did this for 2 years already" He was on his Mission in Cost Rica.

Hey, if you remember, say "hello" from the Hadfields to your parents. We enjoyed a cruse ( to Spain and Italy)with them a few years ago and really enjoyed them. I hope things go very well for them as they serve in Spain.

Keep you blog up so we know where you are! Gayle Hadfield

The Ringleader said...

Thank you for allowing us to live vicariously through your adventures. It sounds like an amazing experience, but now it's time to move onto the next chapter in life...whatever that may be. Follow you bliss and fly by the seat of your pants! We hope to see you now that you are coming stateside!

Chad said...

"Too much ... perspective."
- Spinal Tap

Welcome home Roo, let's get the band back together.

Molly Koch said...

welcome back... as long as you aren't settled, maybe you should take a swing at our waves. they are always open to you. although we aren't such good surfers ourselves :) if you make camp in slc for a little while, then i can't wait to see you. i will be in jan 25- march 29th. sure do miss you- and i am so proud of you and your adventures. one day i promise troy and i will be on a trip with you!!!!

Muranda said...

Andrew,
Although we are sad you won't be there for us to visit, we are happy to see that you are following your heart. I am proud that you took the leap and went for it, though! No regrets!

Carlee said...

Wow! It's been way to long.. Randomly came across your blog, glad to know you were representin' the rafting world in Cotsta Rica.
Coming from experience being a seasonal worker, it's hard to retire to the real life of 8-5.

At least you can stick with it being a hobby vs. guiding commercially..If I never have to guide commercially again it will be too soon! ha ha.

We should catch up! We have some fun river trips planned for the summer..I know, already thinking about summer..

Hope all is well!
Carlee

susie said...

Hey Andrew!
I haven't checked your blog in a long time so I was shocked when I checked tonight and got the news about your moving back to the states. Have you already moved? Let me know where you end up. If you still need waves -- Cali's not bad :) Your surfing numbers made me laugh. Mine are worse!

Good luck with your move!

Cruisin'

Troy and Mindi said...

Andrew!
Sorry for blogstalking, but holy cow! You've been doing some amazing things! You've got some great pictures. It was good to see you're living the dream, or at least looking for it. Good to "hear" from you.
T-roy
P.S. check out our blog. tmfinlayson.blogspot